Saturday, September 18, 2010

Vintage Glass


I love vintage glass, and I rarely see glass from before the 20s here in Albuquerque. This weekend I went to a great estate sale and found this vintage cruet for $1.00.



One way to tell if glass is old, is the bottom. If it is scratched where the glass touched the shelf, but the rest of it has no scratches, that helps to date it. The more shelf scratches the older it is.



This piece also has a pontil mark in the center where the blowpipe was connected to the glass and used by an artisan to form the piece. Can you imagine the work that went into creating it. The stopper on top, was hand finished...there were no rubber seals in those days!



Also, I purchased these little blue votives. I was attracted to them because they're shaped like garden pots, and they were only $1.50 for 6 of them. Little candle holders are so cute for setting a table or sitting out on the patio. And or course, everything looks better by candlelight.




 Talk to you soon!

1 comment:

Brenda Pruitt said...

I've always been attracted to blue. Particularly the shade of your votive holders. I'm currently enamored of glass and tableware. Just came home from Tuesday Morning, and Fitz & Floyd table settings! Where to put it all?
Brenda

 

blogger templates |