Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Stressed spelled backwards is desserts!

I have been trying to be good and avoiding the surgery stuff!!! But if there has been a stressful time in our Nation, it has been now. I am stressed too, and "stressed spelled backwards is desserts" so I have an excuse.





I learned to cook, sew and iron in home-economics, like most of the readers out there. I had six (6) years of it and now I call upon what I learned almost daily. My teacher recommended we get a basic cookbook. The cookbook I chose is actually a series. They are a little beat up now, but "The Good Cook" is still the best set of cookbooks I have ever read! I purchased mine in 1980, but you can still get them on ebay!




I hope to share different recipes with you while I set up the cookbook shelf. Here is my favorite and most requested cookie recipe. There are million versions of the recipe, but I think this is the best one!

Jam Thumbprint Cookies


Ingredients
3/4 pound (3 sticks) room temp unsalted butter
1 cup Sugar
1 teas. Vanilla
3 1/2 cups All-purpose flour
1/4 teas. Kosher salt
1 egg Beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
7 ounces (bag) sweetened coconut
Raspberry or apricot jam ( Any flavor works )


Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cream together the butter and sugar until they are just combined and then add the vanilla. Sift together the flour and salt. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the creamed butter and sugar. Mix until the dough starts to come together. Roll into disk, then wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes. This step is very important....and makes it the perfect cookie when you very busy. Roll dough into 1-inch balls and dip each into the egg wash and then roll it in coconut. Place the balls on an ungreased cookie sheet and press a light indentation into the top of each with your finger. Drop 1/4 teaspoon of jam into each indentation. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the coconut is a golden brown.

Try these! The're easy and everyone's favorite! I store mine in my Italian Biscotti Jar!



Arrivederci
Liz

No comments:

 

blogger templates |