Monday, June 1, 2009

University of South Carolina



I left Albuquerque, and went to school at the University of South Carolina in Aiken SC. It made a huge impression on me because I was still so young, and it affects the decoration styles I choose, that's for sure.



Seems everything is painted white there, and front porches are much more beautiful than backyards.



Aiken is famous for it's serpentine walls, made popular in this country by Thomas Jefferson, who saw Roman walls in Europe.



Most of Aiken's homes are cottage style. Many of them have beautiful wicker furniture and lush gardens.






I lived in AikenSC/Augusta Ga, for 6 years before I returned to Albuquerque. While I was there I spent many a weekend in Charleston, Savannah and Atlanta.

The Western half of the US is so different, but each has it's beauty. But, more than once, someone has asked me why I have so many flowers in the house ( not common here) and I say, "I lived in Beautiful Georgia-lina and it came home with me!"

Oh, I almost forgot...while there, I was able to attend the Augusta National Masters Golf Tournament Twice. The company I worked for had 2 tickets they would raffle to employees. It was beyond words is was so lush!



I miss it, but it is with me everyday, and I'm always trying to duplicate it here. Especially the gardens. If you ever get a chance to visit, do...it's well worth it! I hope you enjoyed the tour of my "second" home town.

Liz

4 comments:

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Thanks for stopping by Liz...I enjoyed your post. We visited Charleston a year ago and LOVED it. You are right about Lush and Green....soooo pretty! Being in the far west, we don't have that lushness....so it is nice to enjoy occasionally!

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Ceekay again...I took the time and read all your previous posts. I don't know if you made your decision on how to decorate your new home, but girl...do you realize you are shabby chic through and through! You may want to have one or two rooms tuscan...but your heart is shabby. Just thought I would throw in my 2 cents...for what it is worth!!

Kammy said...

So beautiful ! Love the pictures !
Hugs ~ Kammy

Kathy @ Sweet Up-North Mornings... said...

Liz, That brick walkway lined with trees is just awsome. Wanted to crawl into the computer and go for a walk! How charming everything is...xoxo~Kathy~ Sweet Up-North Mornings...

 

blogger templates |